Recipe: Simple Roasted Cabbage – Alabama NewsCenter
Y’all know I’m an enormous fan of including taste at each step and in each potential means, so whereas many recipes referred to as for olive oil, I swapped that for just a little liquid gold – bacon grease.
Don’t get me mistaken, it’s tremendous scrumptious with the olive oil, however the bacon grease offers the cabbage that smoky taste I really like. Can you utilize olive oil? Completely. Is bacon grease higher? Positive is.
So what’s bacon grease and the way do I retailer it?
Merely put, bacon grease is the rendered fats that is still when cooking conventional pork bacon. It’s a good way so as to add taste to quite a lot of issues – particularly greens. I even make a salad dressing out of it.
As soon as it’s cooled however nonetheless liquid, I merely pressure it via a espresso filter or mesh strainer proper right into a sealable container or jar. Straining it will get the items of leftover meat out that may trigger it to go rancid quicker.
And when you most likely keep in mind your mother or grandma holding it proper on the countertop, it’s actually higher from a meals security standpoint to retailer it within the fridge or freezer. It’s going to preserve just about indefinitely within the freezer – which is the place I preserve mine. It’s going to preserve within the fridge, when correctly strained, for as much as a 12 months.
Once I put this recipe collectively, I opted to make use of all the head of cabbage in order to not have leftover uncooked cabbage. It makes fairly a bit and calls for 2 baking sheets. With all that being mentioned, this recipe scales down completely. Half a head of cabbage works simply as properly. I’m simply giving y’all choices.
In relation to slicing the cabbage, I favor to trim off the underside of the stem however go away the core of the cabbage intact. It helps to carry all of it collectively.
And since I discussed holding collectively, many recipes on the market name so that you can flip the cabbage about midway via the cooking time. I discovered this to be fairly problematic. It simply all falls aside – even when holding the core intact. It nonetheless tastes scrumptious, however simply seems to be just a little messy when it falls aside. Be at liberty to do it both means.
Simple Roasted Cabbage
Prep time: quarter-hour
Prepare dinner time: 35 minutes
- 1 medium head inexperienced cabbage
- 1/4 cup olive oil or bacon grease
- Preheat the oven to 475 levels and line two massive rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil for straightforward cleanup, if desired. Put aside.
- Use a pointy knife to trim off the surplus stem, then slice the cabbage in 10 to 12 wedges, leaving the core intact. This helps preserve the cabbage collectively.
- If utilizing bacon grease, heat it barely within the microwave till it’s pourable.
- Drizzle the bacon grease or olive oil over the cabbage wedges and divide them evenly on the baking sheets.
- Sprinkle either side of the cabbage generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 35 minutes or till the cabbage is tender and the sides are deep golden brown.
- This recipe can simply be halved – utilizing only one/2 head of cabbage and one baking pan.
- Many recipes name so that you can flip the cabbage about midway via the cook dinner time, however I’ve not ever had a lot luck with that. It simply at all times falls aside.